With the Jennifer Lawrence movie so far living up to sky-high expecatations, the question is how much higher can it go yet? It takes fifth place as both the biggest-ever opening day and single day, in both instances pushing past The Dark Knight. The take comes in just under Eclipse's $68.5 million. More significantly, it very nearly equals what the original Twilight grossed during its entire opening weekend, a then- and now-impressive $69.6 million.
The Hunger Games' haul goes down as the biggest-ever opening day for a nonsequel.
Follow the break for a list of all time top 10 opening movies
Here's a complete rundown of the top 10 all-time opening days, as compiled per BoxOfficeMojo.com stats:
1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, $91.1 million
2. The Twilight Saga: New Moon, $72.7 million
3. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn—Part 1, $71.6 million
4. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, $68.5 million
5. The Hunger Games, $68.3 million
6. The Dark Knight, $67.2 million
7. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, $62 million
8. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, $61.7 million
9. Spider-Man 3, $60 million
10. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, $58.2 million